GMW customers face decisions

June 13, 2018

FOLLOWING the end of the 2017/18 irrigation season, many Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW) customers have choices to make about their unused water.

For those who won’t use their allocation by June 30, it’s important they understand their options.

Customers can sell unused water, but trade applications must be lodged with GMW by June 27, or June 30 if the application is made through the online trading portal.

“You can find a buyer yourself, or use a broker or solicitor,” GMW customer operations general manager Scott Barber said. “We provide application forms and information on end-of-season water trading on our website.

“You may have the option of keeping some or all of your unused water allocation from this irrigation season and taking it into the next season, subject to rules, where it can be used or traded as normal — that is called carryover.

“Carryover is based on the trading zone you are in and the rules that apply to that zone.”

Customers wishing to carryover their unused allocation must trade it into an allocation account linked to a sufficient volume of water shares.

To do this, an application to trade water form (form 39), must be submitted to GMW by June 27.

“Finally, if you do not wish to use, sell or carryover your unused water, you can apply to relinquish your allocation. There is no charge to relinquish water,” Mr Barber said.

For more information about carryover, using, selling or relinquishing allocations, visit or phone GMW on 1800 013 357.

A carryover calculator is also available at to help customers understand how the carryover rules apply to them.

More in Campaspe News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text