A 56-YEAR-OLD man who assaulted his ex-wife has avoided conviction so he could keep his job.
The Eaglehawk man, who has not been named to protect the victim’s identity, pleaded guilty in Echuca Magistrates’ Court last month to aggravated assault.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Rachael Hitchens said the pair had been married for 20 years before separating five years ago.
While visiting his children at the woman’s Rochester home on August 29 last year, the pair started arguing.
‘‘He was asked to leave and walked out into the front yard and when (the woman) attempted to close the door, he forced his way back inside and struck her with an open hand to the face,’’ Snr Constable Hitchens said.
‘‘There was a scuffle before he left the address.’’
Representing himself in court, the man admitted to pushing his ex-wife.
‘‘All I did was push her out of the way so I could get out,’’ he said.
‘‘She was blocking the way so I pushed her to the face. That’s when she proceeded to attack me.’’
The father-of-three said he had been working for the Department of Health and Human Services for 20 years and a conviction would see him lose his job.
Magistrate Sarah Leighfield said she would give him the benefit of no conviction due to his early plea of guilty, no prior convictions and strong work history.
‘‘It is a serious matter,’’ she said.
‘‘If there are further issues, you need to make sure you are not physical in any way. You need to look at your behaviour.’’
She fined him $800.